MomCare is Medicaid-funded program authorized by a special waiver from the federal government. MomCare was developed
through a partnership of the Florida Healthy Start Coalitions, the Florida Department of Health, the Florida
Agency for Health Care Administration, and the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The MomCare Program
assists clients in the twelve county area of North Central Florida, including Alachua, Columbia, Dixie, Gilchrist,
Hamilton, Lafayette, Levy, Marion, Putnam, Suwannee, and Union Counties.
MomCare seeks to improve birth outcomes and infant health by providing the following services:
- A Maternity Care Adviser for each client to assist her throughout her pregnancy
- Prenatal Care outreach for selection of maternity care providers
- Care management to assist with the initiation and use of prenatal care
- Healthy Start services for at-risk women
- Information to the pregnant client on available resources for her and her infant
- Assistance with identifying and resolving problems with access to care
Text4baby is a free mobile information service designed to promote maternal and child health. An educational program of the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB), text4baby provides pregnant women and new moms with information they need to take care of their health and give their babies the best possible start in life. Women who sign up for the service by texting BABY (or BEBE for Spanish) to 511411 will receive free SMS text messages each week timed to their due date or baby's date of birth.
For more information
Contact Laura Duke, MSN, ARNP Community Health Nurse Coordinator