Mission: To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.
- Programs & Services
- Disaster Preparedness
- Useful Links
- Contact Us
Communiuty Health / ACHIEVE - Action Communities for Health, Innovation and Environmental Change
Vision: To Make the Healthy Choice, the Easy Choice in Daytona Beach.
Mission: Daytona Beach ACHIEVE will work with top-levels leaders in all community sectors to implement policy and environmental strategies to facilitate a community that provides access to fresh fruits and vegetables, safe and tobacco-free parks and opportunities for physical activity.
The Daytona Beach ACHIEVE partnership recently conducted a comprehensive community assessment in the 32114 zip code area of Daytona Beach. Below are the preliminary findings:
The next steps will be developing a community action plan to address the assessment findings.
- There is limited access and availability of fresh fruits and vegetables in the 32114 community, which is a designated food desert.
- The community does not have a grocery store and is burdened with corner and convenience stores that do not have healthy options.
- At least one after school program in the area has a difficult time providing healthy snacks that appeal to the children they serve.
- At least one school is interested in starting a school garden. The staff have identified an area for the garden and have received support from administration.
- The City of Daytona Beach has almost 50 designated parks in the community, which are not designated as tobacco-free parks.
- At least one after-school program lacks a safe outdoor play area and equipment.
- There are areas within the target community that arenít safe or conducive to walking or being physically active.
- Organizations/companies were interested in having a focus on healthy practices at their workplace, but either werenít aware of the ways to approach this or were implementing informal strategies.
- As one of the major employers in the area, Bethune-Cookman University is interested in enhancing their wellness policies and strategies.
ACHIEVE is a grant-funded partnership between Bethune-Cookman University, Volusia Flagler Family YMCA, Halifax Health, One Voice for Volusia, City of Daytona Beach, Florida Healthcare Plan and Volusia County Health Department to change policies and the environment to make the healthy choice the easy choice in Daytona Beach.
For more information about ACHIEVE visit: www.achievecommunities.org.
May 6, 2011 (.pdf - 103 kb)
May 31, 2011 (.pdf - 94 kb)
July 28, 2011 (.pdf - 91 kb)
Jan 26, 2011 (.pdf - 136 kb)
Page last updated: 03/18/13